MP Pierre Paul-Hus has introduced Bill C-277 into the House of Commons: An Act to amend the Criminal Code and An Act to amend the Criminal Code (exploitation and trafficking in persons)
This Act implements the federal recommendations made by Quebec’s Select Committee on the Sexual Exploitation of Minors. They studied the urgent issue of youth being exploited and put out a vital report – access their recommendations, summary, & full report. For more info about Bill C-277 read this Q&A document.
The purpose of this Act is to combat sexual exploitation by amending the Criminal Code:
- Confiscating the proceeds of crime for procuring and materially benefiting from sexual exploitation
- Eliminating preliminary inquires to reduce the amount of times a sexually exploited individual must speak about their abusive experience.
- Bringing into force the consecutive sentencing of traffickers
It also calls on the Justice Minister to increase the accessibility of evidence on the internet, especially when these crimes are committed on American servers.
This Act needs your support!
- You can talk with your MP on the phone or online – find their contact info
- Email your MP and the Justice Minister using the tool below! FIRST, add a few lines about why you support Bill C-277 to ensure it gets read.
3. Spread the news on social media & invite your friends to act!
4. Want to protect the youth in your life? Check out our FREE youth training!